Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Poem: A Friend Has Gone

You were riding home from a days work on a Vuka


And had been hit-and-run by some other car

which just sped of into the night

leaving your poor soul at the mercy of others' plight



Your body was bent awkward and his crash helmet smashed

Your face was cut and your jaw was broken

Blood was running freely from your face

Nobody wanted to be in his place



The police arrived and gave you one look

They were not concerned with you fighting for your life

To them it was more important to place the cones in the road

They have a system to follow and they take note



O yes...they remembered to call ER 24

But only after all the cones were in there placed

And not even after it looked like all was under control

Did they enquire at the situation of the young soul



I lay there with you on the cold tar

breathing air that smells of oil

Spiritually we talked and assured each other

that we really care for one another



I did not know that it was you

As you were covered in a crash helmet

Even when the helmet was taken off your head

I could not recall that we ever met



The next morning I wanted to visit you in Hospital

There was no parking so I decided to go the afternoon

A shocking message came onto my phone

That the young man in the accident was someone known



The worst part was still to come

You died on the way to the hospital

My mood is quiet and I am blown

A friend of mine had flown



Go well my friend go well free

This life of yours not more to see

The next might even be a better shot

As this life did not give you all it got



I am glad I was there for you in need

This what we all do for friend we meet

I'll miss your smile and greetings

You surely touched all of my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment